Thursday, June 14, 2012

Gender, Sexuality, and Racism

Gender and Sexuality
            As a social institution, gender is one of the major ways that human beings organize their lives (Night to His Day: The Social Construction of Gender by Judith Lorber pg. 68.) The minute soon to be parents know the sex of their baby is when gender assignment occurs. They paint the nursery blue or pink, buy “color appropriate” clothing, and pick out names. The baby has already been exposed to gender assignment not even out of the womb yet.
            Gender is the routine ground of everyday activities (pg. 68.) If you are a boy you should play sports, video games, and hunting. If you are a girl you should like Barbie dolls, dressing up, and putting on make-up. We have made it clear to our children what the status quo (what is normal) is.
            The message we send to our children is that those who are different must be made to suffer loss (Homophobia and Sexism by Suzanne Phair pg. 420.)  We teach our children that anything but the norm is wrong and should be punished and ridiculed. Sexual orientation is included in the status quo.
            Heterosexism enforces an assumption that the world is and must be heterosexual (pg. 422.) In my opinion someone should not be condemned for being attracted to the same sex. However, we live in a homophobic world that threatens and imposes damaging loss on us for being who we are (pg. 424.)

             The video below sums up the hateful attitude toward the Gay Right's Movement. Be warned this video can offend everyone no matter your opinion on gay relationships.

Racism
            I believe that people may not think they are racist but have some prejudice against people. Prejudice is a preconceived judgment or opinion, usually based on limited information (Defining Racism: Can We Talk? by Beverly Daniel Tatum pg. 382.) Do I like to think I do not have a prejudice bone in my body? Yes I would. Do I believe I do not have prejudices? No I do not. I know I have prejudices and feel ashamed when I have these thoughts because I know it is wrong.
            I agree that stereotypes we were exposed to during childhood have become the foundation for the adult prejudices we have today (pg. 387.) However, I do not believe that it is an excuse for being racist. My grandfather was racist and his prejudices extended to my uncles and male cousins. We all grew up together around my grandfather. If we all grew up together and was taught the same prejudices how come we differ in opinions? For one I know it is wrong to judge a person based on their skin color and two I am not a privileged white male.
            Thinking of my male family members confirms the fact that white male privilege is passed down from generation to generation. They were taught that they were superior not only because they are men but because of the color of their skin. I agree that white people are taught that it is a disadvantage to have colored skin (pg. 395.) I also agree that white people are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege (pg. 395.) The people who are most privileged are the ones who believe the world does not need to improve.

              The article written by Elizabeth Landau below confirms that people like to think they are not prejudice however, they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment